James Bockheim – Professor Emeritus
Pedology, biogeochemistry, forest soils, polar and alpine soils.
UW-Madison, Department of Soil Science
1525 Observatory Drive
Madison, WI 53706-1299, USA
Office: 435 King Hall
- Department of Soil Science
- Department of Forest and Wildlife Ecology
- Nelson Institute for Environmental Studies
- A.A. Journalism, 1963, Grand Rapids Jr. College, Michigan
- B.S. Forestry, 1966, University of Maine
- M.S. Soils, 1968, University of Maine
- Ph.D. Forest Soils 1972, University of Washington
Teaching and Research Overview
In the fall I teach Soils & Environmental Quality and in the spring of odd-numbered years I teach Environmental Biogeochemistry. In the fall of 2008, I taught Pedology, including the two lab sections, and the pedology component of General Soil Science. I advise five PhD candidates.
Current research includes:
- carbon pools in soils of arctic Alaska
- soil formation in Antarctica
- sand-wedge casts and paleoenvironments in Patagonia
- biogeochemistry of canopy gaps in Upper Michigan
- soil properties for predicting age of faults in southern California
Bockheim, J.G., M.R. Prentice, and M. McLeod. 2008. Distribution of glacial deposits, soils and permafrost in Taylor Valley, Antarctica. Arctic, Antarctic and Alpine Res. 40:279-286.
Bockheim, J.G. and M. McLeod. 2008. Early Pliocene glaciations from expansion of the East Antarctic ice sheet, upper Wright Valley, Antarctica. Geografiska Annaler 90A(3):187-199.
Scharenbroch, B.C. and J.G. Bockheim. 2008. The effects of gap disturbance on nitrogen cycling and retention in late successional northern hardwood-hemlock forests. Biogeochemistry 87:231-245.
Scharenbroch, B.C. and J.G. Bockheim. 2008. Gaps and soil C dynamics in old growth northern hardwood-hemlock forests. Ecosystems 11:426-441.
Lindroth, R. and J.G. Bockheim. 2008. Independent, interactive, and species-specific responses of leaf litter decomposition to elevated CO2 and O3 in a northern hardwood forest. Ecosystems 11:505-519.
Bockheim, J.G. and M. McLeod. Long-term cryoturbation impacts on pedogenesis in the McMurdo Sound region, Antarctica. Catena:submitted Sep 2008.
Bockheim, J.G., A. Coronato, J. Rabassa, B. Ercolano, and F. Ponce. Relict sand wedges in southern Patagonia and their stratrigraphic and paleoenvironmental significance. Quat. Sci. Rev.:submitted Sep 2008.
Bockheim, J.G., I.B. Campbell, and M. McLeod. 2008. Use of soil chronosequences for testing the existence of high-water-level lakes in the McMurdo Dry Valleys, Antarctica. Catena 74:144-152.