Looking for affordable housing in a new city can be challenging. UW-Madison offers specific housing accommodations to its graduate students. Check out the Graduate Student Life page for more details on housing and transportation options. The UW’s Campus Area Housing brochure gives additional information.
Welcome to our department and family! As you begin your journey as a graduate student here, we kindly ask that you complete the following in the first three days of your arrival:
- Pam Spahn | email@example.com | 115D Agricultural Engineering Building at 460 Henry Mall | 608.890.3172
- Section 1 of Form I-9 must be completed electronically on or before your date of hire
- Seek information or enroll in Health Insurance Benefits
- Questions on any other benefits, payroll, or compliance issues
- Dan Capacio | firstname.lastname@example.org | 263 Soils Building at 1525 Observatory Drive | 608.262.2633
- Department photo taken
- Distribution of keys to the various laboratory and office areas assigned to you
- Julie Garvin | email@example.com | 263D Soils Building at 1525 Observatory Drive | 608.262.2239
- Sign-up to receive departmental emails
- Authorization of images and information to be posted on department website (optional)
- Schedule appointment to review program requirements
- Visit the Graduate School’s New Students page.
- New International Students should work with the International Student Services (ISS) Office to ensure all requirements are met. In addition to completing and filing all required documents, international students are required to complete the International Student Orientation (ISO) and ISS Check-in.
Our campus requires newly admitted graduate and professional students to complete an online prevention training called ‘Graduate and Professional Students Preventing and Responding to Sexual and Relationship Violence.’ Newly admitted graduate and professional students are automatically enrolled in this required course and will receive notification via email from University Health Services (UHS) in the weeks prior to the start of the first term of enrollment.
This program, which takes about 90-120 minutes to complete, is designed to promote the health and safety of the campus community by increasing students’ understanding of:
- Dynamics of sexual assault, sexual harassment, dating and domestic violence, and stalking
- Safe and effective prevention strategies they can use
- Available campus and community resources for confidential support
- Victim rights and reporting options
Participating in this required program will equip you with tools to address violence in our campus community and contribute to safe and supportive learning environments.
There are some facilities within the department that require respirators and other training before using. Please reach out to our department administrator, Matt Hahne at firstname.lastname@example.org to enroll in the necessary training.
The city of Madison is a vibrant, active, and inclusive community with opportunities to meet nearly every interest or passion. Consider exploring some of these locations and experiences during your time here.
- Outdoor UW provides equipment rental, outdoor explorer series, group experiences, boot mooring & crane, canoe & kayak storage, and if home to Hoofers Student Organization – home to the mountaineering group, outing group, riding group, sailing group, scuba group, and ski & snowboard group.
- College of Agricultural and Life Sciences Student Organizations
- Allen Centennial Garden
- Overture Center for the Arts
- Madison Museum of Contemporary Art
- Wisconsin State Capital
- Henry Vilas Zoo
- Wisconsin Historical Museum
- Olbrich Gardens
- Dane County Farmers’ Market
- Concerts on the Square
- Madison Children’s Museum
- and so much more!
Graduate Program Manager, Julie Garvin, is happy to meet with you to answer further questions you may have. Also, we have several MS and PhD graduate students who are willing to meet with new students to answer the questions only they can. Contact Julie at email@example.com to arrange a meeting according to your needs.