Sharon Long – Professor
Applied Environmental Microbiology
UW-Madison, Department of Soil Science
1525 Observatory Drive
Madison, WI 53706-1299, USA
Office: 213C State Lab of Hygiene / 358 Soils Bldg
- Soil Science
- Director of Environmental Microbiology with the Wisconsin State Laboratory of Hygiene
- Civil and Environmental Engineering
- Microbial Sciences Doctoral Training Program
- Nelson Institute for Environmental Studies
- Molecular and Environmental Toxicology Center
- BS Environmental Science, 1984, University of Massachusetts
- MS Environmental Science and Engineering, 1986, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill
- Ph.D. Environmental Science and Engineering, 1994, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill
- Chair, AWWA Source Water Protection Committee, Water Science & Research Division, 2010 to present.
- Member, AWWA Research Foundation Project Advisory Committee, Early Detection of Potential Taste and Odor Episodes in Waters, 2008 to 2011.
- Member, Madison Metropolitan Sewerage District EMS External Team, 2007 to present.
- Member, Madison Water Quality Technical Advisory Group, 2006 to present.
- Member, Wisconsin Water Association, Research Committee, 2010 to present.
- Member, Committee on Women in the University, 2009 to present.
Awards and Honors
- 2010 AWWA Water Resources Sustainability Division – Award for Best Paper. Plummer and Long, 2009. Identifying Sources of Water Pollution: A Toolbox Approach. JAWA 101(9): 75-88.
- 2003 First place poster, Water Science and Research Division, American Water Works Association Annual meeting.
- 2003 Nominated for the James L. Tighe Distinguished Teaching Award
- 2002 Second place, Poster Competition, Water Quality Technology Conference
- 2000 College of Engineering Joint Student Organization Excellence Award
- 1998 ASCE Student Chapter Certificate of Commendation, Faculty Advisor
- 1995 Nominated for College of Engineering Teaching Award
Prior to starting at the University of Wisconsin in August 2006, my appointment was in the Environmental Engineering program within the Civil and Environmental Engineering Department at the University of Massachusetts. Recent projects include: safety and handling issues associated with biosolids, source tracking methodologies for microbial contamination of drinking water sources, tools for watershed management, using molecular methods to enumerate indicators and pathogens, and bioterrorism preparedness test methods.
I teach SOIL SCI/CIV ENGR 623: Microbiology of Waterborne Pathogens and Indicator Organisms.
Long, S.C., J.R. Stietz, J. Olstadt, C.J. Hedman, and J.D. Plummer. 2012. Characterization of Paper Mill Effluent Using Indicators and Source Tracking Methods. Journal of the American Water Works Association 104(3): E150-E161.
Burk, T., M.M. Shafer, S.C. Long, and W. Sonzogni. 2011 online, 2012. Inhibiting Amine from Steam Humidification System Linked to Filmy Deposits on Laboratory Surfaces. n Journal of Chemical Health and Safety 19(1): 23-29.
Dorner, S., J. Wu, S.C. Long and D. Das. 2011. Are microbial indicators and pathogens correlated? A statistical analysis of 40 years of research. Journal of Water and Health 9(2): 265-278.
Long, S.C. and J. Olstadt. 2011. Assessment of the Efficacy of the First Water® System for Emergency Hospital Use. Disaster Medicine and Public Health Preparedness 5(1): 29-36.
Bloetscher, F., D.E. Meeroff, J. Pisani and S.C. Long. 2010. Resolving Problematic Biofilms in Buildings and Compounds. Environmental Engineering Science 27(9): 767-776.
Spokas, L.A., P.L.M. Veneman, S.C. Simkins, and S.C. Long. 2010. Performance Evaluation of an Artificial Wetland Treating High-Ammonium Primary Domestic Sewage Effluent. Water Environment Research 82(7): 592-600.
Plummer, J.D., and S.C. Long. 2009. Identifying Sources of Surface Water Pollution: A toolbox approach. Journal of the American Water Works Association 101(9): 75-88.
Griffin, J.S., J.D. Plummer, and S.C. Long. 2008. Torque Teno Virus: An Improved Indicator for Viral Pathogens in Drinking Waters. Virology Journal 5:112-117.
Plummer, J.D., and S.C. Long. 2007. Monitoring Source Water for Microbial Contamination: Evaluation of water quality measures. Water Research 41(16): 3716-3728.