John Norman – Professor Emeritus
Environmental biophysics, soil-plant-atmosphere integrative modeling, measurements and modeling of non-point pollution, agricultural remote sensing.
UW-Madison, Department of Soil Science
1525 Observatory Drive
Madison, WI 53706-1299, USA
Office: 439 King Hall
- Department of Soil Science
- Department of Atmospheric and Oceanic Science
- Nelson Institute for Environmental Studies
- BS Physics, 1964, University of Minnesota
- MS Soil Science, 1967, University of Minnesota
- PhD Soil Science, 1971, University of Wisconsin-Madison
Awards and Honors
- 2008 Honored Symposium: 2008 Joint Meeting of Soil Science Society of America, American Society of Agronomy, Crop Science Society, and the Geological Society of America, October 5-9, 2008, Houston, TX.Integrating Instrumentation, Modeling and Remote Sensing in Honor of John Norman. ASA-CSSA-SSSA, Madison, WI.
- 2008 Honored Symposium: 28th Conference on Agriucltural and Forest Meteorology, April 28 – May 2, 2008, Orlando, FL. General Session Honoring Professor John M. Norman. American Meteorological Society, Boston, MA.
- 2007 Fellow of the American Association for the Advancement of Science
- 2006 Spitze Land Grant Faculty Award for Excellence, College of Agricultural and Life Science, University of Wisconsin, Madison, WI.
- 2005 Outstanding Biometeorologist, Amer. Meteorol. Soc.
- 1997-2002 Rothemel Bascom Professor of Soil Science
- 1988 Fellow, Crop Science Society of America
- 1987 Fellow, American Society of Agronomy
- 1980-84 Invited Visiting Scholar to Washington State University, 3-6 March 1980; Division of Forest Research, CSIRO,Canberra, Australia, January-April 1983; University of Guelph, Guelph, Ontario, 20 Jan.-5 Feb. 1984
- 1979 Selected as a member of a 4-man team to review crop modeling programs at 9 institutes in the USSR, under sponsorship of U.S. State Department.
- American Men and Women of Science
Text Book: Campbell, G.S. and J.M. Norman. 1998. Introduction to Environmental Biophysics. Springer-Verlag, New York, 2nd ed., 286 pp.
Norman, J.M. 2013. Fifty years of study of S-P-A systems: Past limitations and a future direction. In N. Romano, G.D. Urso, G. Severino, G.B. Chirico and M. Palladino (eds.) Four Decades of Progress in Monitoring and Modeling of Processes in the Soil-Plant-Atmosphere System: Applications and Challenges. Elsevier Ltd., Amsterdam, The Netherlands. pp. 15-25.
Norman, J.M. 2011. Intellectual Inertia: An uneasy tension between collective validation of the known and exploring the unknown. In T.J. Sauer, J.M. Norman and I. Sivakumar (eds.) Sustaining Soil Productivity in Response to Global Climate Change. Wiley-Blackwell, A John Wiles and Sons, Ltd., Chichester, West Sussex, U.K. Ch. 2, pp. 17-30.
Lepore, B.J., C.L.S. Morgan, J.M. Norman and C. Molling. 2009. A mesopore and matrix infiltration model based on soil structure. Geoderma 152:301-313.
Thompson, A.M., T.Wilson, J.M. Norman, A. Gemechu, and A. Roa-Esponosa. 2008. Modeling the effect of summertime heating on urban runoff temperature. J. Amer. Water Resour. Assoc. 44:1548-1553.
Bonilla, C.A., J.M. Norman, C.C. Molling, K.G. Kartikeyan and P.S. Miller. 2008. Testing a grid-based soil erosion model across topographically complex landscapes. Soil Sci. Soc. Am. J. 72:1745-155.
Anderson, M.C., J.M. Norman, W.P. Kustas, R. Houborg, P.J. Starks, and N. Agam. 2008. A thermal-based remote sensing technique for routine mapping of land surface carbon, water and energy fluxes from field to regional scales. Remote Sensing of Environment 112:4227-4241, doi:10.1016/j.rse.2008.07.009 .
Panuska, J.C., K.G. Karthikeyan, and J.M. Norman. 2008. Sediment and phosphorus losses in snowmelt and rainfall runoff from three corn management systems. Trans. of Amer. Soc. Agric. Biol. Engr., 51(1):95-105.
Anderson, M.C., Norman, J.M., Mecikalski, J.R., Otkin, J.A., Kustas, W.P. 2007: A Climatological Study of Evapotranspiration and Moisture Stress Across the Continental U.S. Based on Thermal Remote Sensing. II. Surface Moisture Climatology. J Geophys. Res. ‑ 112, D11112, doi:10.1029/2006JD007507 (2007).
Anderson, M. C., W. P. Kustas, and J. M. Norman. 2007. Upscaling flux observations from local to continental scales using thermal remote sensing, Agron. J., 99:240‑254.
Stone, B. and J.M. Norman. 2006. Land use planning and surface heat island formation: A parcel-based radiation flux approach. Atmospheric Environ. 40:3561-3573.
Gramig, G.G., D.E. Stoltenberg and J.M. Norman. 2006. Weed species radiation-use efficiency as affected by competitive environment. Weed Science, 54:1013-1024.